Thursday, August 16, 2012

Hot August Hits, TV Thoughts & More

Infectious Break-Up Song #679 from ever-jilted Swift
Current "Hot Hits" I'm into: Taylor Swift's "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" - While I can't imagine what Country Radio must be thinking... other than WTF?...  this song is so infectious and is right up there with Carly Rae's "Call Me Maybe" as the most instant, no-brainer pop hit of the year... P!nk's "Blow Me (1 Last Kiss)" - When I saw the video, I was reminded of just how bad-ass she is.  I thought of Tina Turner, Cher and even Bette Midler... just pure, raw talent with hard-edged sass wrapped-up in a pretty woman. And that says A LOT.  She is so unfortunately under rated or over looked or an "after-thought" when people list today's women-of-pop (Gaga, Rihanna, Beyonce, Katy) and she shouldn't ever be!...  Demi Lovato's "Give Your Heart a Break" - This is Jojo's comeback song that Jojo didn't cut.  She sells albums and has a following but this is her first bonafide, well-earned smash.  I hope X-Factor brings out some more stuff like this from her.... Owl City & Carly Rae's "Good Time" - I dare you not to sing this after your first listen.  This bodes well for Carly's full-CD about to drop next month.... Other's I'm into include Cher Lloyd "Want You Back," Matchbox Twenty's "She's  So Mean," Maroon 5's "One More Night," and Carrie Underwood's "Blown Away," which should be her first crossover since "Before He Cheats." Her video is amazing!  It took a while, but I am indeed hooked on No Doubt's newbie, "Settle Down." Welcome back Gwen & Co.!

Summer TV: So obsessed with HBO's NEWSROOM.  You have to understand, I never missed an episode of the 7 seasons of West Wing.  I love Sorkin's writing.  The casting, the story telling is just genius.  Each episode surrounds a time in recent history and what this news production team went through (IE killing bin Laden, BP oil spill and the brilliant "to report or not to report" on Casey Anthony - because they are a "serious" news show).  With only 10 episodes produced, it's one of those short-run cable series that must cost too much but damn-it I wish there were 22 a year!  Speaking of "cost too much," can you find some dough so Jane Fonda can be on more than 2 episodes!?...  BREAKING BAD (AMC) is still so brilliant.  Dark, scary, real but outlandish, raw... and some of the best acting on TV ever. (Though I do feel Bryan Cranston, after 3 wins, should have withdrawn from Emmy competition.)... WEEDS, EPISODES (Showtime) - yes, I watch 'em!... BIG BROTHER (CBS) is such a guilty pleasure.  And while 3 nights is a lot to commit, I can't imagine missing a moment.  Casting is key to this show and they always get it right.  However, I can tell they thought they were getting a kick-ass, trouble-making lesbian in Jen but got a "is she still in the house?" wallflower instead.... I can proudly admit, I watch BUNHEADS (ABC Family).  I mean, you're giving me Sutton Foster and Kelly Bishop in my living room every week on a show from the Gilmore Girls creator?  Color me "there."... Sigourney Weaver on a political soap portraying a Hilary Clinton-like lady with two cute sons (one gay), created by the guy who gave us "Brothers & Sisters"? Need I say more about POLITICAL ANIMALS (USA)?... And whoda thunk DALLAS (TNT) could relaunch decades later to be a perfect cheesy summer soap? I'm holding out for a Donna Mills/Abbey Ewing appearance. 

Annie's a Diva
God Bless the USA!  But I didn't watch ANY of the Olympics. Sorry, but I felt if I missed something amazing, I'd watch it on-line (like Phelp's final win). I did see the closing ceremonies and thank goodness for the Spice Girls and the brilliant Annie Lennox.  Her "Diva" album is the best of the 90's. Period.  Here's her "Why" video to remind you.  

On the movie-front, nothing's killed me this season.  The Avengers and Dark Knight were fun and worth it, while I coulda and shoulda walked out of Battleship and Bourne. The Queen of Versailles is one to watch at home once it's released.

Is there anything better than the classic Neutrogena Light Sesame Body Oil? It's a post-shower must-use, especially after sunning.

So, moisture-up and be Just Like Jerry!

No comments:

Post a Comment